Date:      Sun, 3 Feb 2002 10:55:31 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net, rwatson@FreeBSD.org, pst@pst.org, jlemon@flugsvamp.com, net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/netinet ip_output.c

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 01:33:50PM -0500, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> [Moved to -net]
>
> On  3 Feb, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>
> > Almost everyone forgets to configure a reject route for 127/8, ie
> > route add -net 127 127.0.0.1 -reject
> [...]
> > IIRC this route was automatically created at one time in BSD history,
>
> Is not /etc/defaults/rc.conf a good place for this now? Like:
>
> 	-static_routes=""
> 	+static_routes=127
> 	+route_127="-net 127 127.0.0.1 -reject"
>
> A note in the release notes and UPDATING will also be needed, I guess.

The system does,

  # ifconfig lo0 127.0.0.1

By default. This gives,

  # ifconfig lo0
  lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
	  inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

Look at the netmask. IMHO, you should not have to add an explicit
route to keep 127.0.0.2 from finding its way out through the default
route. I would naively expect to get "host is down" when I ping
127.0.0.2. Something is broken now. Like someone else in the thread
already mentioned, there is probably some really complicated history
behind how this has come to be, but it sure looks broken now.