Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 1995 21:25:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        wsantee@wsantee.oz.net (Wes Santee)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Activating both PCVT and Syscons drivers

You seem to misunderstand the concept of terminal emulation.....

a telnet connection just passes whatever it sees from one end to the other..
The terminal emulation is done byt whatever terminal (or PC) the user is
working on, so that the emulation if you were working on a FreeBSD box
would be being done on the console.. On the ttys it's done by
whatever is on the end of the serial line

the process running just uses the TERM environment veraible to know what
sort of terminal is should be talking to..

now if you wanted to run some console screens as vt220 and others as syscons
(SCO) screens that is a different (and unfortunalty not supported question)