Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 1995 19:14:24 +0200
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   when UNIX is the big fix

I have again the chance to prove the superiority of BSD over NT
in a practical industrial environment where a customers
CAM/CAE solution suffers from lack of acceptance under NT 3.5
on 2 486/DX2-66 Dec PCs. NT is too slow, the networking is instable
(Token Ring, Novell net) Login processes into the Novell server
get not closed properly and all sorts of problems.

My problem is that FreeBSD does not support Token Ring hardware.
I can get around this by placing a third PC acting as a Novell
router between the two networks (ethernet<-> TR). Though it still
has to be proven that FreeBSD can access the Novell NFS server
over TCP/IP and if perforemance will be sufficient over the router.

Another problem is that the end users there are absolute UNIX
neophytes and will hardly be willing to use vi and shell commands
(unless we write some specialized scripts).

So here my questions:

Is there a EDT for FreeBSD (SEDT)?

What else user friendly editors are there (which are not already
in /usr/ports)?

Is there - yes you read right - a NC ("Norton Commander") for
unix?
Is there something else than xfilemanager? Does xfilemanager run under
FreeBSD-2.0?

Thanks.

FreeBSD blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de 2.0-BUILT-19950701 FreeBSD 2.0-BUILT-