Date:      Sun, 05 Aug 2001 04:09:39 -0400
From:      "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>, "Louis LeBlanc" <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
Subject:   Re: MBR got hosed!

On Sat, 4 Aug 2001 21:34:12 -0400, Louis LeBlanc wrote:

>Anyway again, I am now trying to get this old frankenstein installed
>with Win95 for my brother-in-law.  He's starting college in the fall
>and will need something to surf with and do research (Yah, right).
>Well, the stupid thing won't seem to boot.  I've tried going back into
>the FreeBSD setup and deleting the partitions but it won't actually
>write anything until you allocate a ufs slice and configure your
>install choices (which is good for a regular install).  I also tried
>to set up install disks for 95 and NT, but no good.  I can't even seem
>to come up with a boot disk for 95 (I don't have one installed).

depending on how old the drive is, the MBR could possibly be scrap.
especially on computers that get rebooted and booted a lot.. i had it
happen to me on one of my old bbs HDs.  drive ran fine, but wouldnt
boot.

normally if you get a win9x boot disk and boot into DOS, all you really
need to do is run a

fdisk /mbr

and that puts in the normal dos MBR
---