Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 13:55:04 +1100
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
To:        Peeter Pirn <peeter@rhubarb.fwi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: terminal room cabling

G'day,

> I want to set up remote Wyse terminals about 60 ft. away (in another
> room) from the host 3.2-RELEASE machine. I've never managed this kind of
> cabling before. My first stab is to look for several 60-ft laplink
> cables. Somehow, I don't think this is how computing centers set up
> multiple terminals. I'm using a Cyclom 8Yo DB25 ISA multiport serial
> card and Wyse 60 terminals.

no, typically it's not ;')

> I request suggestions of how to accomplish this the Right Way and
> pointers to appropriate vendors.

I suggest you check your local "Yellow Pages" for 'Cabling' and /or
'Electrical' and organise someone to run some CAT5 cable around your
site. The good thing about this is that you can run all sorts of stuff
over it, not just serial data (as you want now) but also network data,
telephone and even audio. Not on exactly the same piece of wire at the
same time ;') but definitely the way to go.

If you're an electrician, you can 'do it yourself', but I would
recommend a professional cable electrician - as he can create the runs
of cable, install the faceplates and the patch panels and all the extras
required. Oh, it won't be "cheap", but it will be "right".

hth,

|-|