Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 14:55:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Soren Dossing <sauber@netcom.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "F.P.C.F" <june@asin.adn.edu.ph>
Subject:   re: netscape colors

>I have recently installed X-Windows using VGA-16 as the X server. Then, I
>installed netscape. I tried visiting a site with the url below,
>
>        http://www.infi.net/wwwimages/colorindex2.html
>
>I notice that I do not see the appropriate, corresponding colors but
>instead see different shades and textures from white to black. I have a
>colored monitor BTW. In other words, I do not see the colors when I am
>supposed to see one.

A number of things:

1) The VGA-16 only gives you access to 16 preset colors.
2) New Netscape versions allocate from a 5x5x5 colorcube on MS-Windows
systems, but more often a 4x4x4 cube in X-Windows system. Therefore colors
on Windows and unix will not be the same.
3) Even if Netscape knows the values of the color names on the page you
visited, it will only be able allocate a few extra after the colorcube
allocation. Fx if you have 32 system colors, got the 216 colors from the
5x5x5 cube, it will only be able to allocate eight (256-32-216=8) of them.

For 256 color system that is. If you run true color (16777216 colors), you
will get all you colors fine.

Soren