Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 13:36:19 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "Ron 'The Insane One' Rosson" <insane@oneinsane.net>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, sd_fbsd_ug@oneinsane.net
Subject:   Re: Preliminary Tenets

Ron 'The Insane One' Rosson wrote:

> I am trying to start a FreeBSD Users group here in San Diego. That was Six
> Weeks ago. Still have had no meetings. Mostly been short tidbits of email
> through an alias I have set up from my domain. If anyone has any ideas on
> how I can organize and recruit my Local Users, it would be highly appreciated.

	I made this suggestion previously on the local list, however I will
repeat it because it might help others.

1. Poll the users to find a good day/time to set regular meetings. For
the SD group I seem to recall that there were no bad nights.
2. Pick a date for your first meeting which equals whatever the next
regular day will be plus 30 days.
3. Advertise heavily in appropriate local forums and post to
freebsd-[chat?,advocacy?]. In SD I would include the sdnet.computing
newsgroup and write up a few paragraphs for the user group columnist in
Computer Edge magazine.

	Regarding the SD group please follow up to the local list, regarding
other topics or suggestions follow up to -advocacy. :)

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud designer and maintainer of the world's largest Internet