Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 20:57:59 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Shawn Barnhart <swb@grasslake.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Non-sequential one-time passwords?

--FsscpQKzF/jJk6ya

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 09:56:40AM -0600, Shawn Barnhart wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to do one time passwords.  S/Key would work great, =
but
> when generating several passwords it turns out they have to be used
> sequentially rather than at random. The sequential nature of S/Key passwo=
rds
> is kind of a problem, because I don't think I can rely on the people givi=
ng
> out the one-time passwords to properly ensure they're given out in sequen=
ce
> and they can't guarantee they will be used in sequence.
>=20
> The basic idea is to have say five accounts, each with a block of 10
> one-time passwords.  These could be given out on an as-needed basis to
> freelancers for access to an FTP site.
>=20
> Is there some scheme for doing this or am I SOL?

Nope. There are security implications to doing this anyway..this would
partly defeat the protection afforded by OTP schemes.

What you need is to teach your users how to calculate password
challenge responses themselves, either using one of the FreeBSD tools
or an online javascript calculator (these exist, but I don't have a
URL handy). This is as simple as pasting the OTP challenge into a
website and entering their passphrase, then pasting the response in.

Providing your users with a list of the next n passwords they will
need to use is only a convenience, they can do it on demand when
presented with the login challenge, given an available OTP calculator.

Kris

--=20
NOTE: To fetch an updated copy of my GPG key which has not expired,
finger kris@FreeBSD.org

--FsscpQKzF/jJk6ya

--FsscpQKzF/jJk6ya--