Date:      Sat, 29 Sep 2012 13:16:52 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Istvan Gabor <suseuser04@lajt.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: older version of programs in freebsd

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 12:48:49 +0200, Istvan Gabor wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am a freebsd beginner.
>
> As I understood correctly there is only one ports tree which contains
> the most up to date (and stable) versions of programs.
> And there are compiled packages for the different releases, which
> reflect the version at the time of the release.

Yes. There are both the RELEASE packages (as found on the
installation CDs and DVDs) as well as the STABLE packages,
regularly created from a snapshot of the continuously
developing ports tree.

> But I would like to use/keep with libreoffice 3.4 (since I don't like the
> interface changes they made in version 3.5 and 3.6).
>
> How can I do it in FreeBSD?

Easily. :-)

> Do I have to build it independently from the ports tree?

Use portdowngrade.

This tool is excellent in obtaining older versions of a
specific port, for example to make it functional again
(like the xzgv image viewer where the last usable version
has been xzgv-0.8_9).

> Or is there an older package that can be installed on newer system?

If you find the version you want has been distributed with
RELEASE, you can use that ports tree or binary packages.
You can set PACKAGEROOT (see "man pkg_add") in order to
install from the RELEASE precompiled package collection
instead of from the one updated to reflect the current
ports tree.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany