Date:      Sun, 05 May 2002 21:13:27 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KMail or Evolution??

Kris Kirby writes:
> On Sun, 5 May 2002, David Kelly wrote:
> > A Macintosh is an easier sell to the boss.
>
> And if they want to flub on the price, you just tell them that the
> software is more or less the same or similar for nearly the same price.

I wasn't really thinking of the "cost of purchase" sell. Sometimes
FreeBSD or Linux can't be justified as the person's "reasons" boil down
to little more than "I want to play with it on work time."

In prior employment, which Kris knows something about, my job involved
keeping roughly 30 SGI and Sun workstations secure and running
correctly. Wiping Windows off the 24MB P-133 which was provided for my
desk was a very easy "sell".

In current employment I'm back to embedded systems. It happens the
schematic and PCB tools I've been using the past 9 years are MacOS
based. Keeping my Mac is an easy "sell". While I'd *like* to have MacOS
X on it, that would be back in the "playing" territory as my tools
don't run under X, yet.

So I bought a Titanium Powerbook and play with MacOS X at home. When
IPsec is added to Darwin I'll use a wireless link (and IPsec) to this
FreeBSD machine and may abandon it as my primary home internet user
interface.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net