Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 12:30:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@fly.HiWAAY.net>
To:        dkelly@fly.HiWAAY.net, shovey@buffnet.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 8" Floppy drive?

Steve Hovey asks:

> How important could data that old and long unseen be?

Important enough that the answer, "we don't know how to read it"
or "we no longer have the equipment" isn't good enough for the boss.
Meanwhile somebody is working the problem from the other side, asking
permission to destroy the floppies and solve the problem that way.

Heck, we still some old junk PC and 7-track tape drive laying around,
in pieces, nobody really knows how to put it together. But all because
we have 7-track tapes in the archive. Its a crying shame our 9-track
drives can't be made/coaxed to read the 7-track tapes.

Somebody didn't think to keep a computer with 8" floppy interface,
but we still have a couple of 8" floppy drives.

And to top it off, nobody is sure what *format* the 8" floppies were
written in. For all I know, it could be from a PDP-11. And no, the
irony isn't lost on me, that we don't know how they were written but
that they are considered too precious to lose.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)