Date:      Fri, 5 Oct 2012 21:05:14 +0000
From:      "Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)" <opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris@nedharvey.com>
To:        Albert Shih <Albert.Shih@obspm.fr>, "zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org" <zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: [zfs-discuss] How many disk in one pool

> From: zfs-discuss-bounces@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> bounces@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Albert Shih
>=20
> I'm actually running ZFS under FreeBSD. I've a question about how many
> disks I <can> have in one pool.
>=20
> At this moment I'm running with one server (FreeBSD 9.0) with 4 MD1200
> (Dell) meaning 48 disks. I've configure with 4 raidz2 in the pool (one on
> each MD1200)
>=20
> On what I understand I can add more more MD1200. But if I loose one
> MD1200
> for any reason I lost the entire pool.
>=20
> In your experience what's the <limit> ? 100 disk ?
>=20
> How FreeBSD manage 100 disk ? /dev/da100 ?

Correct about if you lose one storage tray you lose the pool.  Ideally you =
would span your redundancy across trays as well as across disks - but in yo=
ur situation, 12 disks in raidz2 - and 4 trays - it's just not realistic fo=
r you.  You would have to significantly increase cost (not to mention rebui=
ld pool) in order to keep the same available disk space and gain the redund=
ancy.

Go ahead and add more trays.  I've never heard of any limit of number of di=
sks you can have in ZFS.  I'm sure there is a limit, but whatever it is, yo=
u're nowhere near it.