Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2001 11:29:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Don Sullivan <sullivan@gaia.arc.nasa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Large disk (>1 TB) support in FBD4.3 ?

Don- too bad- I'm over in NAS in building N-258 and just took down the h/w
where we could test this (Alpha 4100 with 8 Qlogic cards && 8 150GB MegaDrive
RAID arrays)- We're excessing this equipment because the mass storage group's
work was terminated due to budgetary goop.

Typically there's no problem in *recognizing* raw SCSI disk, or RAID units
that look like a SCSI disks- Mike or others will have to speak about how well
specifical supported RAID cards for FreeBSD will handle something that large.

A more problematic issue is whether FFS can reliably handle > 1TB. We did some
tests with NetBSD at 1TB a couple of years ago- you have to use larger block
and frag sizes (we were using 32k/8k)- but I've never myelf gotten FreeBSD up
above 500GB. I was going to do so when the rather flakey h/w I was on above
was set to be excessed. If I'd known you needed the work done- I could have
kept it going a couple more weeks and we could worked on sorting it out.

-matt