Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2012 10:27:16 -0800
From:      JINMEI Tatuya / =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCP0BMQEMjOkgbKEI=?= <jinmei@isc.org>
To:        Alex Yong <annonymouse+freebsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strong host model in IPv6?

At Fri, 9 Mar 2012 23:26:01 +0000,
Alex Yong <annonymouse+freebsd@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've spotted that in IPv4 there is the sysctl "net.inet.ip.check_interface"
> which defaults to set, but I've been unable to find any guarantees that
> strong host model is enforced in v6 in the comments or internet.  According
> to the IPv6 Core Protocols Implementation book (3.7 "Input processing:
> ip6_input() Function") the incoming network packet processing in ip6_input
> should use the routing table to look up whether packets are of relevance
> for an interface - but the code base has diverged significantly since then
> including vnets for jails which makes me wonder if this is a bug.  However

I've not closely followed the most recent version of FreeBSD IPv6
code, but the use of the routing table in ip6_input in the original
KAME implementation had nothing to do with the strong host model.  It
was just for faster determination of whether an incoming packet is
destined to *any* of host's IPv6 addresses (on any interface, which
may or may not be identical to the receiving interface).

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.