Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2007 15:10:31 -0700
From:      "David Christensen" <davidch@broadcom.com>
To:        "Tom Judge" <tom@tomjudge.com>, "Doug Ambrisko" <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
Cc:        Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>, Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Question about bce driver

> Firstly I am not trying to slate David's efforts, however=20
> there are and=20
> have been some big problems with the driver.
>=20
> As for the IPMI integration, our management controllers are=20
> set to used=20
> the remote access controller NIC (Set as dedicated in the=20
> bios) rather=20
> than share the host nics.
>=20
> Unfortunately I can not justify spending the time on the driver to=20
> management when the problem can be solved by spending a=20
> relatively small=20
> amount of money on hardware to fix the problem.
>=20

I'm sorry I haven't been able to get to the root of your problems
Tom.  My biggest challenge is trying to duplicate the a loaded system
which seems to be an important component of the failure you're seeing.
Simply blasting traffic with netperf hasn't been much of a challenge
as it runs over the weekend at line rate without a hiccup.  If
anyone has an idea on how to load the system (which means regular
failures by the driver to allocate mbufs) I'd definitely appreciate
hearing it so that I can duplicate Tom's environment.  It's certainly
important to me that the driver perform well and I won't stop looking
at the problem if you do decide to jump ship.

Dave