Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 1995 15:21:00 +0100
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   IDE/eIDE issues

For some installation tests I bought a brandnew Quantum Fireball640
(612 MB) thinking it would be least risky to use IDE/eIDE to install FreeBSD.

But it turns out to be the most cumbersome installation I was doing
ever :-(

I can't the hell get it to boot. After several tries with
'missing operating system' results I finally got it to find
the boot loader but when the kernel is being loaded
all I can get is the first | from the twisting |/-\'s then hang.

I tried with IDE, and two different eIDE (VLB) controller to no avail.

Do I need to put special disk software that came with the controller
to the disk first ? I always thought FreeBSD can cope with any disk
geometry/IDE drive size as long as the partition can be reached from
the BIOS.

Looking back I find that I did only do mostly SCSI installations
in the past and my (successful) IDE  installations date back into
times where common IDE drives used to have less than 1/2 GB.

I tried to read the handbook first before coming up here
but in fact the handbook is very sparse on (e)IDE.