Date:      Sat, 28 Jan 1995 05:15:17 -0600 (CST)
From:      Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
To:        jkh@FreeBSD.org (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Am I dreaming?

> However, I do feel compelled to note that the inability to do this kind
> of thing easily only underscores the abominable evil that is the whole
> UNIX filesystem paradigm (as if ioctl() wasn't enough to already convince
> us of this! :-).

Huh? There's already an FTP file system out there. People have been using
it. What's the name of it? Alex? Something like that? Just make your symlinks
point to that...

The UNIX file system paradigm isn't evil. IOCTL is just a hack to cover up
for not properly implementing it. They finally did replace ioctl with file
system operations in Plan 9.