Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 11:58:12 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, "Dorr H. Clark" <dclark@applmath.scu.edu>, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hyperthreading: myth or legend? (was Re: hyperthreading? (was Re: question))

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 11:44:13AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> According to the Intel documentation I read, hyperthreading is not
> the same thing as simply having the extra CPUs on the same die (which
> is what you seem to be implying it is).

You're both right.  Optimal performance is achieved by optimizing the
way Terry described, at that's a direction we need to consider assuming
hyperthreading stays around, however, when you don't do any of those
things, Intel lets you pretend you have two CPUs on one die.  Performance
is not identical (if nothing else the two CPUs share memory bandwidth
and the P4 is seriously bandwidth hungry), but it just works.  When you
think about it, Intel had to go with that approach for all the reasions
AMD emulates the Intel SMP programming model on the Athlon.  Simply put,
they have to support NT 4, Win2K, and XP without modification.  Heck,
I'd be slightly suprised if Windows.net supports Hyperthreading nativly.

Of course, since they show up as two CPUs each, you can't run NT Server
on a dual Xeon box and I think you need Datacenter for a quad so it's
not nearly as much of a win for Windows users. :-)

-- Brooks

--=20

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j--