Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:54:26 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Royce Williams <royce.williams@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Solving the great resource problem, take 42 (Re: Upcoming release schedule - 8.4 ?)

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 23:06:15 -0700 Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 10:25 PM, Royce Williams
> <royce.williams@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
> > wrote:

> >> I totally concur.
> >
> > Ah, but you can get the same effect by freeing up those engineers to
> > work on the hard stuff.
> >
> > This is my usual soapbox (see [1], [2]): =A0Push more of the mundane
> > work out to the edges, so that the developers can focus more on the
> > core (like more releases/features/testing/projects).
> >
> > Here are some ideas. =A0Only developers can implement them, but they
> > would start paying for themselves immediately ... in developer time.
> >
> > - Frequent snapshots, with tools to automatically apply them and
> > roll them back (freebsd-update + ZFS snapshots?).
> >
> > - Tools to do binary walks of snapshots to pinpoint when a bug
> > appeared. =A0(Think 'git bisect' + freebsd-update.)
> >
> > - A taggable FAQ that supports faceted search, and a quick way to
> > add entries (or propose them for approval).
> >
> > - A way to search for known fixes to transient bugs and hardware
> > issues [1].
> >
> > - General debugging and testing tools for non-developers, including
> > tools for filing smarter bug reports.
> >
> > - A way to automatically upload crash dumps for bulk analysis (like
> > Windows does).

There's a GSoC project underway for this.

> > - A dmesg analyzer that downloads a list during install, and looks
> > for known issues (or workarounds) with your hardware for that
> > version of FreeBSD (or recommend a different version!).
> >
> > Tools like these would also help more people achieve the "I tried
> > it, and it Just Worked" moment. =A0This can keep people's interest
> > long enough to give FreeBSD a serious try. =A0Some of them might
> > enter the volunteer pool.
> >
> > I'm not a developer, but if some of the above could be tackled, they
> > might free up enough Developer Equivalents (DEs, a term which I have
> > just made up) to be more than worth the effort.
>=20
> No offense, but speaking from experience, these are referred to as
> "wishlist projects" -- many of which get shelved until developers get
> enough time to work on them. This makes more sense when there are more
> resources so engineers can work in a less distracted manner as BSD is
> not Linux as far as BSD's design stratagem is concerned .

We have the ideas list for this (http://wiki.freebsd.org/IdeasPage).
While it does not attract that much people during the year, it attracts
a lot of students which want to participate in the GSoC.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7