Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 00:47:03 -0700
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@mass.dis.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@freebsd.org>, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, FreeBSD-arch@freebsd.org, msmith@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding SO_NOSIGPIPE to -STABLE/-CURRENT

> Michael Smith wrote:
> > > This SO_SIGPIPE discussion seems bent on trying to make the signal
> > > facility more able than it is, when in fact signals were (and are)
> > > a bad idea in the first place.
> >
> > Actually, this has nothing to do with it.
> >
> > The issue revolves around the seperation of resource ownership between a
> > program and the frameworks that it links with.  In many cases, the
> > program has no idea that the framework has a pipe/socket open, and is
> > thus surprised by the signal.  In other cases, it will install its own
> > handler and be confused.
>
> Shouldn't the framework install its own handler?

How?

> And then, since the old handler is returned in the set call, it
> should daisy-chain call the signal handlers, until the default
> handler, and not call that one, if other handler are installed.

Oh, please.  There's no convention for vector chaining for signal
handlers; I cannot possibly imagine that you're so naive that you can't
immediately see where this scheme falls down.

> Basically, if I have an encapsulation framework, I pretty much
> expect it to encapsulate.

This isn't an encapsulation anything.  It's just a library.  And you
clearly don't grasp the simple nature of either the problem or the
solution.

> I'm all for taking stuff back from Darwin; I'd desperately like
> FreeBSD to take Darwin's UDF implementation, for example, but
> the lack of block devices makes that one impossible.  8-(.

That has entirely nothing do with it.

> I guess I'm wondering what software FreeBSD will be able to
> run/problems will FreeBSD be able to solve, with this option
> present, that it couldn't without the option present?

Have a library open a socket.  Have the socket be closed by the remote
end without the application linked with the library not receive a
"surprise" SIGPIPE.

That's it.

 = Mike
--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not