Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:56:25 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>, "Charles Howse" <chowse@charter.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Cvsup refuse confusion

On Monday 22 September 2003 09:39 am, Andrew L. Gould wrote:
> On Monday 22 September 2003 11:13 am, Charles Howse wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm trying to eliminate all the non-English ports and
> > documentation. I've deleted the relevant directories in /usr/ports
> > and /usr/share/doc, But they reappear on subsequent cvsups.
> > Where have I gone wrong?
> >
> > ********* /etc/cvsupfile *********
> >
> > *default  host=cvsup11.FreeBSD.org
> > *default  base=/usr
> > *default  prefix=/usr
> > *default  release=cvs
> > *default  tag=RELENG_4_8
> > *default  delete use-rel-suffix
> >
> > src-all
> > *default tag=.
> > ports-all
> > doc-all
> >
> > ********* /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/ports-all/refuse *********
> >
> > doc/da_*
> > doc/de_*
> > doc/el_*
> > doc/es_*
> > doc/fr_*
> > doc/it_*
> > doc/ja_*
> > doc/nl_*
> > doc/no_*
> > doc/pl_*
> > doc/pt_*
> > doc/ru_*
> > doc/sr_*
> > doc/zh_*
> > ports/INDEX
> > ports/chinese
> > ports/french
> > ports/german
> > ports/hebrew
> > ports/hungarian
> > ports/japanese
> > ports/korean
> > ports/polish
> > ports/portuguese
> > ports/russian
> > ports/ukranian
> > ports/vietnamese
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Charles
>
> Check for the existence of the folder /usr/sup.  If it exists, move
> your refuse file to it.
>
> Also, should you be refusing to update ports/INDEX? I refuse the
> non-English ports; but my refuse file does not include ports/INDEX.

Yes, because you are supposed to rebuild INDEX after every cvsup of
ports-all. If you pick and choose the port collection, you will
probably break "make index" and then the upate tools won't work as you
would expect. Since you are going to rebuild INDEX or INDEX-5 after
each cvsup, refusing it prevents cvsup from redownloading it. It takes
several minutes to download even across a 100Mbps networkd.

If you use portupgrade, you also have to run "portsdb -u" after you
create and updated INDEX.

Kent