Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 09:58:30 +0100
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        Chris Wasser <cwasser@v-wave.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: which ftpd

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 01:52:09AM -0700, Chris Wasser wrote:
> On Fri 01 Dec 2000, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> > I just discovered a bunch of suspicious files and directories
> > in my incoming directory:
>
> Forgive me if I'm missing the point, but the obvious solution
> would be to only allow ftp access to registered system users,
> rather then anonymous which is a ripe target for the activities
> of warez couriers.

My only concern was security, that is, secure against exploits
through buffer overflows and in the past, I agree with the foreposter,
wuftpd always was lagging behind WRT closing these buffer overflow holes.

I don't want to confine my ftp access to a closed circle. Looking
into /incoming more frequently can keep those warez kids away.
And forbidding directory creation as well.

My point was, if the stock ftpd offers all this.