Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 09:16:41 -0800
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        nik@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Feature request:  Store dist file size somewhere

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 10:15:27PM -0500, Will Andrews wrote:

> I personally see nothing wrong with having another 22kbyte (easily
> compressed to ~3kb, I imagine) in the tree, but some folks might object.
> What do you think?

I think those people are silly for keeping their ports collection
on floppy disk or typing in by hand from a printout every time they
want to use it.  Sheesh.  At about $10/GB, 22k costs you 0.02 cents.

Note also that in many cases, expanding files/md5 by the amount
in question will not cause it to overflow into a new block on disk,
especially in the usual case of about one distfile.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * UNIX is a lever for the
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           * intellect. -J.R. Mashey