Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 08:43:32 -0600 (CST)
From:      hawkeyd@visi.com (D J Hawkey Jr)
To:        bsdbrett@yahoo.com.au, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Window/File Manager

In article <20021104041757.5805.qmail_web10402.mail.yahoo.com@ns.sol.net>,
	bsdbrett@yahoo.com.au writes:

>> What are your favorite ultra-light WM's and/or FMs?
>> I'm just looking for
>> something that does the job, looking nice would be
>> an added benefit but
>> I doubt I'll have a high color depth to play with
>> anyway.
>
> You can't go wrong with Blackbox (or fluxbox, which is
> very similar). It can look as detailed or as simple as
> you want. I use it on my low spec laptop and
> workstations. If you want a nice looking theme, I
> suggest 'AlmostX', but you might want to get rid of
> some of the gradients in it, as rendering them chew
> unnecessary CPU power. It's been quite usable on my
> p120 thinkpad.

With a fairly "rich" configuration, how small is fluxbox's footprint?
I just had a peek at fluxbox's source, and I see that gradient shading is
done with X pixmaps. If they're cached (by color and/or size?), this is
rather memory hungry, no?

I run vtwm with a rather "rich" setup on FreeBSD 4.5-REL-p22, XF86 4.2.0,
TrueColor visual, and top shows the following:
    PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
  49880 hawkeyd    2   0  3092K  2496K select   0:16  0.00%  0.00% vtwm
It does cache pixmaps by size and color, but for the most part they're
small - titlebar buttons. I use sound effects, too, which are cached by
the rplay daemon:
    PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
    174 root       2   0  2000K  1460K select   4:15  0.00%  0.00% rplayd
So, vtwm's total footprint is about 5.1Mb, about 3.9Mb being resident.
How does that fair against fluxbox or blackbox?

As X pixmaps are server-cached, how can one [easily] tell how much memory
is used for them?

> As far as file managers go, I would suggest perhaps
> XFtree from XFce. I've not used every file manager,
> but I have used this in the past, its been good and
> has a small footprint. You can assign file
> associations too.
>
> I've used these both in the past, in a sort of hybrid
> blackbox-xfce manner, and it served me well.

Midnight Commander in an xterm.  :-)

Dave