Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 18:03:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nitebirz <nitebirdz@uswest.net>
To:        Rainer M Duffner <Rainer.Duffner@surf24.de>
Cc:        Scott Corey <sbcorey@azstarnet.com>, Spock <spock@india.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: doubt?

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Rainer M Duffner wrote:

> On Mon 27 Sep, Scott Corey wrote:
> > On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, Spock wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I want to migrate frm linux to FreeBSD and have some enquiries
> > > regarding freeBSD please help me?
> > >
> > > 1. Can I use the freebsd as a work station or desktop?,
> > > and will I get the applications which are there in linux, in BSD? i mean
> > > will I get c compilers, window managers, Multimedia ..etc in free BSD
> > >
> > Yes
>
> I'd say 99%.
> I don't know, if the latest and greatest 3d-stuff is ported already.
> (I don't care, I don't have a 3d-card)
> As FreeBSD is a bit more server-oriented, the developers may have their
> concerns on other areas first.

I would like to stress this part: "as FreeBSD is a bit more
server-oriented".  Many programs that are available for Linux are not
ported to FreeBSD.  Yes, you can run the Linux emulator but still in many
cases you have to struggle quite a bit to get the program to work.  Also,
if the application uses Linux's /proc, then it will not even run in
FreeBSD.

Finally, no offense here, but there is much more documentation and support
for Linux in general.  If you need to run a desktop computer, I'd
recommend Linux over FreeBSD.  On the other hand, for a server I truly
think that both work pretty much the same although BSD may have an
advantage when it comes to performance, especially network-related
performance.

> > > 2. Can I download freeBSD cd image frm u r site and burn it into the CD
> > > and use it for installation
> > >
> > Yes
>
> If you download (and use) an ISO-image, you might go to
> http://www.freebsdmall.com and make a donation.
>
> > > 3. Will that Cd image contains utils/applications along with the base
> > > operating system?
> > >

> Maybe. But you can get any application from the internet anyway, either
> via pre-compiled packages, or via the ports-mechanism.
> Use one of the mirrors that is closest to you (check with traceroute).
>

> cheers,
> Rainer
> --
> |Rainer Duffner, E-Mail: duffner@fh-konstanz.de  |
> |                &   Rainer.Duffner@surf24.de    |
> |Fachhochschule Konstanz, Germany                |
> |"What's a Network ?"  - Bill Gates, early 1980s |
> |   WWW:http://www-stud.fh-konstanz.de/~duffner  |

Nitebirdz