Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2012 10:52:58 +0100
From:      Paul Schenkeveld <freebsd@psconsult.nl>
To:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with nanobsd compilation

On Sun, Mar 04, 2012 at 08:24:40PM -0600, Espartano wrote:
> Hi folks, I have a problem compiling nanobsd, this is the problem:
>
> I'm compiling NanoBSD from my laptop, when the compilation finish and
> I reboot the laptop I can't boot freebsd correctly anymore, the boot0
> stage looks correctly since I can see the boot menu like this in my
> screen:
>
> F1 win
> F2 FreeBSD
> F6 pxe
>
> Default: F2
>
> Then when I press F2 key the characters | / - \ start to spin and
> suddenly it freeze, I had to boot from live-cd and mount the FreeBSD's
> partition  by hand in order to verify why FreeBSD was not be able to
> boot, then I realized that /boot.config file was added to root
> directory just after nanobsd compilation finished, I removed that file
> and rebooted the laptop and now the boot process works perfect.
>
> The content of the /boot.config was this:
>
> [espartano@daemonlap ~]$ cat /boot.config
> -h
> [espartano@daemonlap ~]$
>
> My question is, why NanoBSD's compilation added this file to my
> laptop's root directory ?
>
> It could be a NanoBSD bug script ?
>
> This is my NanoBSD configuration file:
>
> NANO_NAME=ZROUTER
> NANO_KERNEL=ALIX9.0
> NANO_IMAGES=1
> NANO_DRIVE=ad0
>
> # !! important for ALIX boards !!
> NANO_BOOT0CFG="-o nopacket -s 1 -m 3"
> NANO_PMAKE="make -j 3"
>
> NANO_CONFSIZE=102400
> NANO_RAM_TMPVARSIZE=20480
> NANO_RAM_ETCSIZE=10240
>
> #NANO_NEWFS="-b 4096 -f 512 -i 8192 -O1 -U"
>
> FlashDevice sandisk 512mb
>
> customize_cmd cust_install_files
> customize_cmd cust_allow_ssh_root
> cust_comconsole

This should be:

  customize_cmd cust_comconsole

By leaving out the "customize_cmd" you immediately invoke the
cust_comconsole function which creates the /boot.config file but also
changes /etc/ttys (disable VGA console, enable serial console).
With "customize_cmd" you schedule the execution of cust_comconsole
within the NanoBSD tree.

With kind regards,

Paul Schenkeveld