Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 06:25:10 -0500
From:      "Thomas M. Sommers" <tms2@mail.ptd.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Guns and freedom [Was: Re: On "intelligent people" and"dangers to  BSD"]

c.raven@ukonline.co.uk wrote:

> You should perhaps _more_ importantly note the age of the British
> fleet of that time, not it's size.
>
> The Revolutionary fleet was brand-spanking-new. The equivalent of
> sending a W.W.I battleship up against the New Jersey ....... it was a
> damn brave show by the British navy to fight,  knowing as they did so,
> that they confronted a better armed, better motivated and (sadly for
> them) frequently better led naval enemy.

The American fleet was virtually non-existent. The first batch of ships
were converted merchantmen. The second batch of 13 were built as
warships, but only 9 ever saw the sea, and several of the remainder were
taken almost at once. Technologically there was not much difference
between the ships on each side.

> This of course not to detract from the sound arse-whooping the Brits
> received on more than a couple of occasions. Mind you, the white house
> was torched in all this somewhere :) ... bet that's not happened for a
> while.

That was in 1814, not during the Revolution. The White House wasn't
built until 1801 or so.