Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 21:24:40 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, sos@FreeBSD.ORG, eivind@yes.no, gmarco@giovannelli.it, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv and audio ... (Avermedia)

> You guys know best, but is there really no way to tell these apart?  Is
> there not some PnP ID, Vendor ID, or something that'd be different between
> the cards?

There might be something to gather from the PnP stuff, but I'm not
sure its enough to differentiate the cards.

> I see they both have the same tuner signature.  Same I2C list too (0xc2)?
> Is there an EEPROM on this card (I notice ioctl(BT848_REEPROM) fails for
> Gianmarco's Avermedia; does this mean it doesn't have one or we just don't
> know how to read it)?

The AverMedia (at least the one I've got) has no EEPROM, ot at least I
cannot find any on the card :). It does hav a PIC processor though, but
I think its only involved in the IR remote control receiver thats on
my board, and which I dont know how to talk to...

> So sysctl seems convenient if we "have" to resort to forcing the user to
> tell us what card they've got, but auto-detecting if at all possible would
> be a bug plus for usability and save a lot of questions (FR1236 tuners,
> etc.etc.).

I totally agree... I still miss the entry for the Avermedia though so
one can select that for now....