Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 1995 21:06:08 -0600 (CST)
From:      Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, jmb@kryten.atinc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MIT SHM X11 extensions? (fwd)

> Mount /usr over NFS and run apps from it from the an NFS client.

Paging from an executable over NFS is a problem in and of itself
anyway, since NFS doesn't handle locking the executable in any way, and
it doesn't even have hooks. Try opening a tmp file on a nfs mounted
/tmp and use the normal "open and unlink using the open file to keep
the link around" trick.

I don't think the fact that NFS is fundamentally broken is a good design
criterion. There's so much else that's broken on NFS anyway. Executables
opened over NFS should be copied into swap.

> I consider the sudden explosion of core files on the client to be an
> even more suprising consequence, especially sonsidering that you can
> largely ignore swap unless you actually run out.

And if you suddenly copy all your running text segments to swap you may.

> Realistically, you could watermark it and start randomly crashing things
> at 90% swap utilization on the client instead of putting up "out of
> swap messages.

And you were worried about all those core files?