Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 2003 15:44:29 -0600
From:      Mark Nipper <nipsy@tamu.edu>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@kuzbass.ru>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crash w/ 4.7-STABLE of Wed Feb 12 22:15:15 CST 2003

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 05:05:49PM +0700, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> You should not change NGROUPS_MAX blindly.
> Just take a look to CMGROUP_MAX in /usr/src/sys/sys/socket.h
> and there are other rabbit holes possibly.
> Expect problems with NFS, too.

	Well, it's not a blind change per se as I need it to put
user www into each user's personal group to better secure
people's web space and home directories from inspection by other
local users.  If you know of a better way to do this (than
running multiple instances of Apache running as each separate
user and proxying requests to each, which is what I was doing
before but is not really as elegant a solution as adding www to
each user's group, thereby enabling the same ability to lockdown
permissions rather tightly), I'd love to hear it.

	Besides, CMGROUP_MAX seems to address the situation
rather than complicate it.  If it depended on NGROUPS_MAX, then I
might very well be seeing catastrophic failure of subsystems
because of hardwired limitations.  But this particular define
seems to prevent that very thing from happening.

	And while the machine is an NFS server, www is used only
locally, so I can only hope it does not cause problems.  Besides,
it's not like this machine crashing was a rare thing before
implementing the change, so I cannot really be too worried about
it now.

--
Mark Nipper                                                e-contacts:
Computing and Information Services                      nipsy@tamu.edu

---begin random quote of the moment---
You need a license to drive a car, but any idiot can have a child.
----end random quote of the moment----