Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 1995 11:01:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@goof.com>
To:        martin@victor.innovus.com (Martin Renters)
Cc:        starkhome!gene@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Diskless booting - netboot.com problems?

Martin Renters wrote:

> > >cc -O2 -DNFS -DROMSIZE=16384 -DRELOC=0x90000 -DINCLUDE_WD -DWD_DEFAULT_MEM=0xD0000 -DINCLUDE_NE -DNE_BASE=0x320 -DINCLUDE_3COM -D_3COM_BASE=0x300   -c start2.S
> >
> > >Anything look wrong?  Thanks again!
> >
> > I don't think the program can support two configured network cards at once.
> > Try compiling for only the card that you want to use to boot with.

> It used to work fine with SMC and NE200 support.  I haven't tried it with
> 3C503 also compiled in, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.  The probe
> routine tries to find SMC cards, and if that fails looks for an NE2000 or
> 3C503.

	Taking out support for all but one card works fine.  It appears,
however, that it cannot find the 3C503.  I have a 3C503 on an isa slot in a
pentium machine with a PCI bus.  It says it can't find the adapter.  I'm going
to swap the SMC card in the 486 with the 3COM card in the Pentium and see if it
works.  On the 486, I can load up the kernel and everything, but it dies with a
SIOCFADDR or something like that - with the error number 6.  It's a panic in
nfs_mountroot or somesuch.  I'm going to try a SNAP kernel and see what
happens.

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead  -> Virginia Tech Center for Transportation Research -
                 -> Multiple Platform System and Network Administration