Date:      Sat, 25 Dec 2004 16:12:19 +0200
From:      "Vladimir Chukharev" <chu@h33.erkki.ton.tut.fi>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   X.org 6.8.1 success

Hi,

I just want to share a bit of joy. Yesterday I upgraded X.org
to the new 6.8.1 version. It works for me with a simple change
in the config.

I'm using a "Wings Z6" notebook PC (a.k.a. Asus M3000N,
Centrino 1.5GHz, 512MB, 60GB, i810/855 1400x1050 14").

On first boot after the upgrade X did not start, screen blinked
and the usual messages appeared on the console. The logs had
warnings about speedo and dri modules, so I commented out
the load lines in the config. The warnings disappeared, but
X still did not work.

Next I desided to get any working X, so I changed the driver
 from "i810" to "vesa", vesa always worked for me at some low
resolution. To my suprise I got the full 1400x1050 resolution!
Moreover, glxgears shows 440 fps without dri, and 450fps
whith the dri module. Not bad, comparing to 106fps for i810 in
X.org 6.7.0 with dri module loaded!

So, driver i810 seems to be broken, but driver vesa works as
a replacement just fine.

One additional thing. The mode 1400x1050 is not reported by my
BIOS, therefore I use a program i855vidctl to change videomode
5c from 1920x1440 to 1400x1050. It is now avalable in ports as
sysutils/i855vidctl10 (unfortunately without a startup script).

Thank you! Merry Cristmas and happy New Year!
--
V.Chukharev