Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 2009 08:52:37 +1300
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        Thomas Fritz <tf@slash10.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ethernet (gem0) not working during installation of FreeBSD-8.0 on a G5

You can use gpart from the command line to partition the disk. Something
like this:

For example, to install the bootloader and make a 10G partition on disk ad0:

gpart add -s 800K -t '!Apple_Bootstrap' ad0
dd if=/boot/boot1.hfs of=/dev/ad0sXX
gpart add -s 10G -t freebsd-ufs ad0
newfs /dev/ad0sXX

There should be a new version of sysinstall capable of doing this before
8.1, but for now you will have to muck about with this by hand.
-Nathan