Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 2006 07:01:36 +0530
From:      "Joseph Koshy" <joseph.koshy@gmail.com>
To:        "Andrew Gallatin" <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The sixty second pmc howto

ag> Let's say it takes 1000 cycles to issue a memory load
ag> because of a cache miss, and 1 cycle to increment
ag> something already in a register.  Let's also say that
ag> your program does each operation the same number of times.

ag> Does the 'instructions' count each operation identically so
ag> both operations appear to cost the same, or is it sampled
ag> from some clock interrupt, so that the memory load
ag> (correctly) shows up 1000 times more often?

'instructions' is a convenience alias for closest
underlying PMC event that counts retired instructions.
Take a look at pmc(3), section "Event Name Aliases".

I could add an alias 'unhalted-cycles' that maps to:

  AMD K8    -- "k8-bu-cpu-clk-unhalted"
  INTEL P6  -- "p6-cpu-clk-unhalted"
  INTEL PIV -- "p4-global-power-events" perhaps. I need to
               check the manual again.
  (The AMD K7 lacks a suitable event).

--
FreeBSD Volunteer,     http://people.freebsd.org/~jkoshy