Date:      Sun, 18 May 1997 22:34:26 -0700
From:      Brian Litzinger <brian@mpress.com>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        j@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone know of any software for playing Video CDs?

On May 16, Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu> wrote:
> One should be able to tell cdd to read the track as raw data and output it to
> stdout for processing by a videoCD application..

Sorry to be so late in getting in on this conversation.  The format of
VideoCD/CDI diskettes is the proprietary property of Sony and Philips.

I sent $350 to the appropriate people and wrote the code that Amancio is
often refering to.

You can basically say

briansprogram /dev/cdc0 track13 | your_mpeg1_systemsstream_decoder

It even will display a catalog of the tracks on the CDROM.

I then met with representatives of Philips and showed them the
cool things I could do with software.

I asked if I could publish the source, they said no.  More exactly
they said I couldn't publish anything that would "give away" the
definition of the format. 8-(

I'll call them up, and see if things have changed.  With DVD around
they might not be so tight fisted with VideoCD/CDI.

Personally, I've never understood how letting the format be public
knowledge would cost them anything.

I've wanted to write a filter for Charles Henrich's cdd to that you
could do

cdd | briansfilter | your_mpeg1_systemsstream_decoder

Which would minimize the amount of code involved which is object
only.  Maybe some clever sole could reverse engineer the
briansfilter part.

I'll try to find some time to write briansfilter.

--
Brian Litzinger
brian@mediacity.com