Date:      Sat, 04 Sep 2004 14:11:19 -0700
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   [OT] Re: IBM T30 and thermal problems

> > There was a post made -  subject line - by an individual outside of IBM
> > that did not have the authorization to do so.
> >
> > The information is IBM Confidential and needs to be removed.
> >
> > Please have someone contact me ASAP to discuss and to confirm that it has
> > been removed.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> The post was made at Fri Jun 6 16:47:48 PDT 2003 - more than a year ago...
> Do you really think you can ban this post from a web based archive after
> the whole world has mirrored it? Do you have the "delete_from_internet"
> button on your keyboard? :-)

Hmmm. It seems that he does...

The mailing list archive on FreeBSD.org now has XXXX's of the quote
contained in the original post, (although Google still has the original
cached for the time being), not to mention the many 1000's of copies
probably still on individual hard drives belonging to people subscribed
to the list at the time.

Whilst I have a lot of respect for IBM generally (my impression being
that they still do lots of pure research to advance the art, and, if any
other company held the patents they did, the entire industry would have
been non-viable - IIRC, they hold a patent to display a character on a
computer display), this is kind of silly - not to mention sinister.

If it was IBM confidential, then it shouldn't have been sent outside IBM
at all in the first place. Whilst netiquette says you don't re-post
private email to a list/group, this is always a danger with people you
don't know/who don't know netiquette/ignore netiquette.

IANAL, but surely, once it was disclosed outside IBM then, if not
covered by any NDA or prior legal agreement, then it's been disclosed by
IBM - albeit inadvertantly or carelessly? Isn't this the same scenario
as making ill-advised statements in public and you're then stuck with
the consequences?

Whilst I think I appreciate why the archive folks complied with the
request (FreeBSD != EFF), it's the re-writing/censorship of history that
bothers me.

We're at war with EurAsia/EurAsia has alway been our friends. We love
you Big Brother!

Apologies for going off-topic.