Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 2020 22:59:23 +0200
From:      Olivier Certner <olivier.freebsd@free.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to silence cron?

Hi,

> I *think* you can set MAILTO: to /dev/null but I'm not 100% sure. But if you
> can, I think it'll do what you want, if that is to have no mail at all for
> www user.

I've been using `MAILTO=""` in the system crontab for years, seems to work
well (I just get spurious messages "mailed 1 byte of output but got status
0xffffffff" in logs, not sure if they are related).

This didn't work with the old `atrun`, which was then fixed as a side-effect
of integration into `cron` (by the way, the `atrun` manpage in 12 still does
not reflect it).

--
Olivier Certner