Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 11:49:51 +0100
From:      Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net>
To:        FreeBSD SCSI <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   DDYS not ready

hello, world\n

after almost 7 months of flawless operation, my IBM DDYS T 18GB drive
connected to an on-board ahc0: <Adaptec aic7880 Ultra SCSI adapter>
refused to work. When I enter the Adaptec SCSI BIOS and try a verify
media this is what the BIOS prints:

Unexpected SCSI Command Failure

Target SCSI ID:        9
SCSI CDB sent:         03 00 00 00 0E 00 70 00 02 00
Host Adapter Status:   00h - no host adapter error
Target Status:         02h - Check Condition
Sense Key:             02h - not ready
+Sense Code:           04h
+Sense Code Qualifier: 00h

I've unplugged/replugged all connectors since then to eliminate faulty
contacts. The drive has been cooled with its own fan and been operated
only a few hours per day.

Is it time to get an RMA number from Big Blue?

Regards,

	Jens
--
Jens Schweikhardt http://www.schweikhardt.net/