Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 2002 20:32:50 +0100
From:      Goedeke Michels <likedeeler@nebelschwaden.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   undelete or ffsrecover

Hello,

First of all, if this is the wrong group, please redirect me to a more
appropiate place.

I am trying to recover some files I have accidentally deleted. However,
ffsrecov continuously complains about a corrupt super block and misssing
magic. The filesystems are ok, however (as long as you trust fsck) and
mount without problems.
I've also come across undelete(2), but since I have no clue about C, I
did not get very far with this (just put a main() { ... } around the
example. Compiled, but did not do anything).
I am running 4.7 stable (~week old) with soft-updates enabled
filesystems on an intel box.

Most info I found on the web said "no chance", but have been quite old
and the appearance of an undelete function raised some hope.

Is there any way of getting those files back ? There has been no write
activity on that partition since and now its mounted read-only. I do
have the inode of the parent folder (which contents I am missing) and
the names of the top level files and directories.

Thanks for any help