Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 00:15:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Woodchuck"  <djv@bedford.net>
To:        jwg@cm110119.cableco-op.com (Jeff Gray)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bad disk name and cannot mount

Jeff Gray wrote:
> Decided to upgrade a system by buying a new physical server,
> transfer all the files over, and then use the old system for
> another purpose.
>

> The console says, in caps,
> bad disk name  /dev/sd0se2
you mean sd0s2e, of course...

> bad disk name /dev/sd0s2f
>
> These are the correct device nodes for /usr and /usx
>
> a) any idea what happened or what caused this?

Yeah, I have the feeling that tar may not have created the
appropriate /dev files. A FEELING. If these were on slices
3 or 4 I would say, "I KNOW".

Boot back up single user, mount -u -w / ; cd /dev and do
sh MAKEDEV all
and then

sh MAKEDEV sd0s2a

Do one for each N and M in sdNsMa that you have use for.
(MAKEDEV sd0s1a takes care of [r]sd0s1[a-h] )

> b) any way short of re-installing to recover and get
> files and remote access back?

If the preceding doesn't work, then I'm all out of ideas.

> c) other suggestions appreciated.

For fun, on a working 2.2.6 system:

	cd /dev
	tar cpf /dev/null . >/dev/null 2>/tmp/err.log

	cat /tmp/err.log

sample output:

tar: rsd0s3: minor number too large; not dumped
tar: rsd0s3c: minor number too large; not dumped
tar: sd0s3: minor number too large; not dumped
tar: rsd0s4: minor number too large; not dumped
tar: rsd0s4c: minor number too large; not dumped
tar: sd0s4: minor number too large; not dumped
(many more, and not just scsi drive stuff).

Is there a magic switch for tar that avoids this? Quien sabe?

Dave
--
       Will hack for cabbages!  Every day is Groundhog Day!