Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 22:25:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Is "immutable" supposed to be a good idea?

[....]
> as root from doing stupid things and to prevent people running as root
> or in maintenance mode from doing smart things), I would rather see
> restore, tar, cpio, rm and any other system recovery tools all be able to
> replace files with these flags, if the utility is running suid==root.

I vaguely remember that some of these flags were not supposed to
come into effect until the system went into multi-user mode..
Is n't there suppose to be a way to go into 'secure' mode from which
there was no return? or Was I dreaming...
This was all talked about by keirk during his 4.4 class I went to
in 1992, but I can't remember all the points any more..

> We should not make the system impossible to maintain or to recover.
aye!
I don't think these flags should be noticed till root decides to go 'secure'

> Strangely, one of the directories with these immutable files was moved into
> /tmp to get it out of the way.  On the next reboot, the normal system start
> was able to get rid of all of the files.  That seems curious.  What has
> rc got that I haven't got?
hmm maybe that IS how it is doneA after all?

> Unless someone knows a really good reason, I plan to turn off immutable
> on all files on the customer systems I have to maintain.   This was too big
> of a hassle to revisit and cost everybody involved.
>
> Oh, weird party trick:  some time just before nuking a system to do
> a fresh install or something, rm /sbin/init, halt and reboot and watch.
> That is certainly not what other UNIX systems do...
Well FreeBSD will try look for /stand/init and /stand/install if /etc/init
aint there.. (at least I've seen code to do that....)
That's how the install disk works I think...
(maybe I'm out of date)

julian