Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:43:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        shizukakudo_99@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: Problem with cvsup.freebsd.org

In article <20010710040135.8910.qmail@web11402.mail.yahoo.com>,
Shizuka Kudo  <shizukakudo_99@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I found out that cvsup.freebsd.org is not up-to-date
> as compared to other cvsup servers. I cvsupped
> cvsup.freebsd.org today (06:00 UTC) and received no
> update (e.g. latest MFC of pccard from Warner), but
> received the MFC from other cvsup servers (I just
> tried cvsup2.freebsd.org).

When you notice this kind of problem, please get the mirror site
maintainer's e-mail address from the FreeBSD Handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html#CVSUP-MIRRORS

and report the problem to him.  I have done that just now, so
cvsup1.freebsd.org will be fixed soon, I hope.

By the way, why are you using such unimaginative choices as
cvsup.freebsd.org and cvsup2.freebsd.org?  There are 17 mirror sites
in the US alone (83 total in the world).  All of the US mirrors and
almost all of the other mirrors update themselves hourly from the
master server.  So the low-numbered mirrors such as cvsup and cvsup2
are no better than the others.  You can help to spread the load more
evenly by spending 5 minutes with ping and traceroute to find a better
choice.

John