Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 1996 09:45:48 -0800
From:      Jerry Chen <chen@ipsilon.com>
To:        bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   fyi: the symbol tabel of a loadable driver is not loaded

>> In FreeBSD 2.0.5, modload does not load the symbol table
>> into the kernel.
>
>Even if it would: it were of no use for you.  Since the driver is
>loaded to a dynamic location, the symbol table as created by ld(1)
>won't match the reality.

It seems to me that modload in FreeBSD is similar to the
one in SunOS 4.X.  How does SunOS 4.X work?  When I use
the kadb is SunOS 4.X, it shows the right symbol for a
loadable driver.

In fact, an engineer in my company already modified modload and
lkm in FreeBSD 2.0.5.  lkm calls X_db_sym_init() to notify ddb
where the symbol table is.  This sort of works.  But it is not
stable.  That is why we would like to see experts in FreeBSD to
engineer a fix to this problem.  If you want to get our code as
a starting point, we may be able to send it to you (if the
management approves).

Jerry