Date:      Sun,  2 Nov 97 18:32:04 +0100
From:      lf@get2net.dk
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS vs. NT Client!

Hi there,

I am using a FreeBSD machine as an NFS server, and the server
seems to running quite smoothly. But the write performance from
Windows NT client (using ChameleonNFS) is *very* poor - but
reading from the NFS drives is no problem.

I have read in the mailing-list archives that this is a
wellknown problem - although I didn't really see any solutions
for the problem?

A strange thing is, that if I connect to the NFS server using a
FreeBSD client, I have both fast reads and writes.

Besides the slow write performance from Windows NT, I have
another question, I can't seem to 'browse' the NFS 'shares' -
only if I mount them (which may be quite logical). But this is
a problem when I try to stream something from a DAT tape,
directly to an NFS mount, since the backup software (ArcServe
and BackupExec) can't use network mapped drive letters, the
software only supports network addresses like
\\servername\nfsmount .. Is there anyway to get around this?

By the way, both machines use 3C900 ethernet cards, on a BNC
based network.

Thanks,
Lars