Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2000 22:02:58 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Proxying lpt0 to Windows hosts

How do,

This is a long shot.  Does anybody know of a way to proxy the parallel
ports to a Windows host over a network.  I *don't* mean proxying print
services, which is what Samba does.

Specifically -- I've got an Epson printer attached to a FreeBSD host,
exported to Windows hosts using Samba.

All works well, the Windows and FreeBSD machines can print to the printer
with no problems.

However, the printer driver includes various utilities to report on the
level of ink left, check the nozzles, and so on.  Naturally, this expects
to communicate directly with the printer, and won't work unless the
printer's plugged in to the Windows host.

Which I don't really want to have to do.

What I'm hoping for is a utility to run on the FreeBSD end, which would
just listen for network connections, and forward data to/from the parallel
port, and a corresponding utility on the Windows end, which would let me
'attach' LPT1: on the Windows host to the daemon on the FreeBSD host.  That,
or another work around for the problem.

I've done some digging, but haven't turned up anything.  As I say, it's
a long shot, but I thought it worth a try.