Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 11:26:14 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@chuggalug.clues.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware/Software Multia/UDB questions

> I purchased a Multia 18-24 months ago, managed to get it up and running
> FreeBSD for about a month when it died.

Heh. 8)  That's a pretty good run.

> I have finally got around to ordering the replacment logic IC and now
> have a few questions.

I have a question - did you get a new (faster) fan?

> On the Hardware front:
>
> I have just stumbled accross a refernce to replacing six resistor networks
> in addition to the Logic IC, is this a common problem?

I haven't met this one.  Typically they're not going to be damaged, but
there are possibly other good reasons for this.

> I have just knocked what looks like I diode off the base of the board
> it is labeled 10-35 EN does anybody know of a replacement part as it has
> nothing left to solder :-(

This is a 10u 35v tantalum capacitor.  The banded side was +ve (if you
can't remember which way around it went, and there are no markings on the
board, you can probably safely assume that the -ve end of it went to
ground.  (Check with a beep meter.)

> On the FreeBSD front, does the onboard TGA still get mistaken for VGA
> by the console and hanging kernels with the VGA support compiled in?

It never did.  The problem was always people thinking that they had
supported video when the kernel was just using the default SRM output
vector.

> I have seen (on the linux alpha lists) folks running a VGA console and
> X on a card in the PCI slot, anyone got this working under FreeBSD?

Not AFAIK.  Not many of us put up with the Multias, I'd guess.