Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 1996 11:50:08 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, bde@zeta.org.au, davidg@Root.COM, dutchman@spase.nl, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HDD cpu usage (IDE vs. SCSI).

> Luigi Rizzo stands accused of saying:
>
> Ah, so you want the system to know how each and every drive works, and
> to keep track of actuator position and velocity, as well as the rotational
> position of the media.  Funny ha ha.
> The only part of the system in a position to make an _informed_ decision
> about which of several transactions is the easiest to perform next
> is the disk.  With ZBR, hidden geometry and 'invisible' sector sparing,
> the OS doesn't have a hope.  (Yes Terry, I know, RAID-X)

Agree. I wanted to mention this but forgot while writing the reply.
Actually this raises the question of for how long the fs code will need or
even benefit from trying to arrange data in a contiguous fashion
(cylinder groups, log fs etc.).

It is right that disks tend to hide features from the disk, but a
bit of cooperation is certainly useful (as a minimum, I should be able
to tell the disk "this block is likely to be accessed sequentially
after block X").

One last thing, with "invisible" sector sparing it's probably the user
who doesn't have a hope, but this ought to be an infrequent occurrence.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/