Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 1995 18:58:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Webster <andrew@fortress.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HELP: Lost routes!?

I've got an urgent question for the Network Guru's of FreeBSD.

I run an ISP using FreeBSD on our systems, and have noticed the occasional
peculiar problem involving user's SLIP and PPP connections on our terminal
server, a 486/66 running FreeBSD 2.1.0-950726-SNAP.

Here is a description of the problem:

>From time to time routing information appears to be LOST or thrown away.
This can happend at any time, at the start of a session, or 1 hour into a
dialup session.

I received a call from a user, he said that he could not contact our server
despite the fact that he was connected.  His slip interface was connected
and properly configured.
sl2: flags=c011<UP,POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 552
        inet 199.84.157.3 --> 199.84.157.21 netmask 0xffffff00

I did a 'netstat -rn' only to see that his SLIP interface was not listed
in the table.  I tried pinging his endpoint address '199.84.157.21',
and got no response.  He indicated that his modem's lights were not
flashing.

I took down and deleted the slip interface using 'ifconfig sl2 down
delete'. I then reconfigured the interface using 'ifconfig sl2
199.84.157.3 199.84.157.21'.
I got the following message: 'ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists'.

How can that be?  I again downed and deletedthe sl2 interface.  I
reconfigured the interface with 'ifconfig sl2 199.84.157.3 199.84.157.254'.
I pinged the endpoint address(...254) and the remote modem's lights were
blinking.  A good sign.  Reconfiguring the interface back to its
original state (199.84.157.3 -> 199.84.157.21), I again got the message
'ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR):  File exists'.  I flushed the routing
tables using 'route flush' and still no luck.  I did however get the message
'got only -1 for rlen'.  I downed the slip interface and again flushed the
routing table, again I got the message 'got only -1 for rlen'.  I
re-established the slip interface using 'ifconfig sl2 199.84.157.3
199.84.157.21', and it worked!!

Obviously somewhere along the line, the endpoint address '199.84.157.21'
got stuck in the routing table with some sort of 'dummy' entry that
netstat wouldn't print, or didn't see.  Could the chains (if any) have
gotten corrupted?  Since route flush did fix the problem when the interface
wasn't up,  this indicated that 'route' could see the whole table whereas
'netstat' perhaps cannot?

Has anyone seen this problem, has it been fixed in a more recent version
of FreeBSD?

Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.  As you can imagine, this
is a most frustrating problem!

Thanks!

Andrew Webster  - captain@pubnix.net - http://www.pubnix.net
PubNIX Montreal - Connected to the world - Branche au monde
 514-990-5911   - P.O. Box 147, Cote St-Luc, Quebec, H4V 2Y3