Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 00:21:21 +0100 (MET)
From:      Martin Jangowski <bsd@birdland.rhein-neckar.de>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP Kayak and very slow NE2100

On Sun, 8 Feb 1998, Doug White wrote:

> Check interrupts, make sure there's no conflict.  Are you sure the NE2100
> probes correctly as a Lance?  I have a stack of these cards that I'd love
> to borrow from Housing if they work under lance.

Since the card says absolute nothing about it's contents (and HP just says
"It works with NiceTry, so what?"), I'm happy the GENERIC-Kernel
identifies it as Lance-based NE2100. However, I suspect a IRQ problem,
too. Unfortunately, I can't find out what IRQ is used by the network part
of the card... the SCSI-controller is PCI and gets assigned automagically,
but the ethernet part? I don't understand the line in the kernel
config-file completely, but it seems to me, that there is a fixed IRQ for
the card. If this IRQ is different from the (automagically assigned?) IRQ
for the hardware, this problems could result.

Martin

| Martin Jangowski              E-Mail: maja@birdland.rhein-neckar.de |
| Voice: +49 621/53 95 06                       Fax: +49 621/53 95 07 |
| Snail Mail: Koenigsbacher Str. 16      D-67067 Ludwigshafen Germany |
| RNInet e.V.                                   Rhein-Neckar Internet |