Date:      Wed, 06 Nov 1996 10:39:03 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        gene@starkhome.cs.sunysb.edu
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUP on sup.freebsd.org

In article <199611061121.GAA20346@starkhome.cs.sunysb.edu> gene@starkhome.cs.sunysb.edu writes:
> I can well sympathize with the need to do something about your network
> load problems, but I just tried (unsuccessfully) to build CVSup and I have
> the following *major* complaints, which I hope you will consider:
>
> 	(1)  CVSup, being written in Modula3, requires the importation
> 		of a *GIANT*, *BLOATED* language subsystem, which is not
> 		currently a standard part of FreeBSD (nor should it be).

Other people have already pointed out the availability of statically
linked binary releases, so I won't beat that dead horse.

As to the "*GIANT*, *BLOATED* language subsystem," you are out of
date on that.  The current CVSup package (the one from the packages
collection, not the static binary release which is completely
stand-alone) depends only on the "modula-3-lib" package, whose
tarball is < 1 MB and which occupies 3.2 MB when fully installed.
That is *slightly* larger than the static binary installation,
which weighs in at 2.5 MB.  However, I expect to update CVSup more
frequently than the Modula-3 ports, so in the long run you'll be
better off to install "modula-3-lib" and use the package version
of CVSup.

BTW, if you think 3.2 MB is still too giant and bloated, well,
welcome to the 1980's, Bubba.  ;-)

> 		As it happens, I have a Modula3 already installed on some
> 		systems we are using for educational purposes.  However,
> 		where I want to sup from is a server system that students
> 		don't use, and I'm not thrilled about copying vast quantities
> 		of shared libraries and other cruft yet to be determined
> 		over to that system so that I can run this one Modula3 program
> 		on the server.

You have options.  Use the static binary, use the package, or use CTM.

> 	(2)  CVSup will not compile (at least not out of the box from
> 		the ports/net/cvsup directory on FreeBSD 2.1.5, due to it
> 		apparently wanting some "-lz" option from ld, which doesn't
> 		seem to exist on the 2.1.5 ld.  This effectively cuts off
> 		anyone running 2.1.5/stable from tracking the FreeBSD source
> 		tree and ports via sup.

I brought "libz" into the -stable branch this morning.  I also
retroactively zapped it onto all existing 2.1.5 CDs.  (Just kidding
about that last part. :-)